Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wendy's Summer Chop Chop

I just had my favourite summer lunch. I created this dish based on something I ate at some deli, at some place and at some time. It's one of those things that we all eat - something which will likely never find its way into a cookbook, or maybe even onto the table for friends and family: maybe it's something like, jam on your ham and cheese sandwich, or pancakes with peanut butter....naw, I don't eat those things, but I do love this recipe. I think it's yummy enough to share.

Wendy's Summer Chop Chop

Ingredients

 Mix together in a medium bowl:

2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped 
1 large celery stalk chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/2 medium red pepper chopped ( any colour will do)
1 can drained solid tuna ( salmon would work, too, and so would leftover cooked chicken I imagine, although that would make it chicken salad...)

Dressing

Mix together in a small cup:
2 generous tbsp. fat free yogurt
1 small tsp. mayo ( added fat for satiety - you could easily leave it out...)
generous sprinkle of celery seed
generous grind of pepper
scant shake of salt
generous tsp. curry powder ( or more to taste)

Chopped cilantro for garnish

Add the dressing to the other ingredients, mix well, and serve. I like to eat this with Frank's hot sauce, and chopsticks.

The best thing about this recipe is that you can add or change ingredients everytime you make it - it's always "to taste".

I don't have a picture of my Summer Chop Chop, and the bowl I used looks messy with splotches of curry and Frank's, so here's a picture of summer laundry drying at the wonderful cottage we rented on PEI a couple of years ago...

Near Montague PEI - http://www.vrbo.com/247931

In the meantime, I had a fitness trainer who said the perfect meal or snack should include a protein, carb and fat. This dish has them all, and it's so easy-peasy to make. A little bit of kindness for me.

Warmly,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment